When Vivian was ready for solids, I started making her food. While some parents hit the babyfood isle at Target, it never crossed my mind. I knew that I could make her food at home that would be inexpensive and delicious. So, off I started, mashing peas, blending rice and squash, and giving her much of what I was already cooking for dinner. It was easy for me, and Vivian loved it. For many parents, the idea of making babyfood is daunting, so here’s some information to get you started.
Summer – peaches, plums, bananas, coconut milk, squash, avocado, corn, green beans
Fall – pumpkin, hard squash, grapes, apples, pears, potatoes, spinach
Winter – Citrus, hard squash, root vegetables
Spring – potatoes, mushrooms, berries, spinach, peas
3 simple flavorings to add: cinnamon, vanilla, parsley
Easy – 1 step ideas
Grab a fork & bowl!
- Mash up a banana. Add a dash of coconut milk if you’d like.
- Mash up an avocado
Easy: 3 steps
Reach for your blender and stove!
1. Put a steamer basket into a pot with a small amount of water. Put your veggies in, cover and turn the heat to medium.
2. Bring to a boil and steam until tender. (I like to check them after 10 minutes.)
3. Put them in a blender with a touch of salt and lemon juice (brightens the flavor). Blend until smooth (for a beginner) or chunky (stage 2 or 3).
1. Use seasonal produce. If you can’t find fresh, or don’t want to make an extra trip to the store, you can start with frozen. You’ll still enjoy all of the nutrients and won’t have any waste.
2. Think ahead and make their food a part of your family’s dinner. Eg. Steam broccoli to mash for your baby. Take the same broccoli and season with salt, pepper and parmesan for you and your family.
3. Have extra? Freeze in ice cube trays or baby food storage containers. (Be sure to date them.)
4. If you have an older sibling, making baby food is a fun activity to do together.
5. If you have a child with food allergies, this is a great way to help minimize any risk.
Want more info?
Do you have an interest in learning more about making nutritious, yummy food for your baby? I am available for 1 on 1 instruction in your home. I can personalize the recipes to suit your little one and help get you started on the road to cooking for you baby.