2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
1 cup short grain brown rice *
2-3 cups chicken broth
1 cup shredded Parmesan
salt & pepper
fresh lemon juice **
* Grab a 4 or 6 qt. sauce pan.
* Over medium heat, add fat.
* Pour in the rice and lightly toast it, constantly stirring gently.
* Begin adding the liquid, 1/2 cup at a time. Keep it on medium heat, simmering, stirring constantly. As the rice absorbs the liquid, add more (1/2 cup at a time). This process will take 25 – 30 minutes.
* After 20-25 minutes, taste the risotto. You want the final product to be al dente, not mushy or crunchy. (You may not need all of the liquid.)
*Once you’re happy with the texture, turn off the heat and fold in the cheese. Season with lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste.
* You can certainly use arborio rice, but I like the nutty flavor of the brown rice, along with all of its additional nutrients.
** The acidity of the lemon juice balances out the creaminess of the cheese in the risotto, giving it a more balanced flavor. Salt, pepper and lemon (or some type of acid, like a vinegar) are common finishes to creamy dishes.