Half Pint Easy Family Recipes
Bok Choy Stir Fry
* 2 c. short grain brown rice
* 4 c. water
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 c. sliced carrots
* 3 pieces baby bok choy (clean, cut leaves off, take out ribs and slice them)
* 1/2 lb. shitake mushrooms (stem off, quartered)
* 1 mango, peeled & diced
* 1/2 white onion, diced
* 1/2 c. Chinese cooking wine
* 3 T coconut oil
* 3 T mushroom soy
* 3 T light soy
* 2 T rice wine vinegar
1. In rice cooker, place rice and water. Turn on.
2. In a hot skillet, add coconut oil. Sautee onions and mushrooms together until brown. Deglaze with Chinese cooking wine. Add mushroom soy, light soy and rice wine vinegar. Bring to a simmer.
3. When rice is half-way done, add carrots and bok choy ribs to steam basket. Close and continue cooking.
4. Turn skillet off. Add fresh mango, bok choy leaves and then toss with mushroom mixture.
Serve with rice and veggies!
* If you want to add additional protein, add cashew, tofu or chicken.
“Inche Kebin” Malaysian Whole Fish (serves a family of 4)
* 1 whole Bronzini (2 1/2 lb.), or mild white fish (scaled & cleaned)
* 1 whole lemon, sliced into circles
* 1/2 c. fresh parsley, whole
* 3 T spice rub or a mild curry (IttyBitty foodies spice rub)
* 2 T salt
* 4 T olive oil or coconut oil
1. Rinse fish and dry. Inside the body, put the parsley & sliced lemons.
2. Rub outside of fish with oil. Sprinkle with spice rub & salt, evenly on both sides. Allow to marinate for 1 hour.
3. Put the fish onto a clean grill, at high heat. Cook for 7-10 min. on each side. (Use your fish spatula if you have one.)
4. Let the fish rest for 5-10 min. before serving.
** In order to pull meat off, cut along the backbone of the fish and insert the knife along the bones. Pull the meat right off.
Serve with grilled sweet potatoes and grilled spring onions. Add some fresh mango! To save some time, try cooking your entire meal on the grill!
Roasted Beet Salad
This was Vivian’s 1st experience with beets, as I’m trying to introduce new foods. She loved them! There are a few components to this delicious salad.
* 4 medium sized beets
* 1 c. red wine
* 1 T peppercorns
* 1 T olive oil
Place the above ingredients into a pan and cover with foil. Roast for 1 1/2 hours at 300.
the carrot mixture
* 5 small carrots, cut into coins
* 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
* 1 orange
* 1/2 c. water
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. chili flakes
Place the above ingredients into a saucepan and simmer the carrots until tender, but not mushy. Remove the carrots from the liquid, save the liquid and strain it.
the pickled onions
* 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 T honey
Put the onions and honey into a bowl and pour the hot strained liquid over them to pickle.
Peel the beets with a towel (see below). Cut into bite-size pieces. Cut up the orange that you zested. Add the carrots and pickled onions. Toss with 2 T olive oil and 2 T balsamic vinegar, and season to taste.
Brent’s non-famous Margarita
1 part Anejo tequila (we use Don Julio). (I like to taste the aging of the tequila.)
1 part simple syrup
1/2 part cointreau
1-2 parts fresh squeezed lime juice
large pieces of ice (you can make your own!)